By Isla Ramos
The melasma cream is important in the skincare routine to help treat the spots that appear on the skin. If you want to know more, the dermatologist and trichologist Joana D’arc Diniz (CRM: 67786-8 RJ), Scientific Director of the Brazilian Society of Aesthetic Medicine and the Brazilian Hair Society (RJ) clarified the main points below!
Continued after the announcement
How to prevent melasma with the right care
Joana explained that melasma are chronic spots, whose color is darker and brownish. The causes of this problem are often related to genetic predisposition or hormonal changes and dysfunctions. “Melasma is one of the greatest challenges in dermatology. Although it has no definitive cure, it can be mitigated and controlled with treatments, in addition to being very important to have some preventive care, among which, it stands out avoiding exposure to the sun and making continuous use of sunscreen ”, he added.
Therefore, betting on a good sunscreen is essential in the prevention of melasma and, to know the best treatment, the ideal is to consult a dermatologist, because this choice depends on several aspects, such as degree and depth of the spots, skin type and an assessment on each asset.
“In addition, it is important to note that exposure to the sun and lamps (including cell phones, notebooks), photo-oxidative stress, not using a sunscreen, pregnancy and using birth control pills greatly favor the appearance of pigmentation or intensify and greatly aggravate the already existing ”, concluded Joana.
The best creams and other products for melasma
The melasma cream contains actives that help to lighten the blemish and smooth the skin. There are other products, such as sunscreen and some serums that complement topical treatment. See the best melasma cream options:
1. Anasol anti-wrinkle facial cream – $
An anti-aging night cream, with glycolic acid and green tea extract. Its properties help to stimulate collagen synthesis and promote cell renewal. It has the most oily texture and can complement your treatment for melasma in the area of nightly power hydration.
“I used it for about 5 months and I liked it, but it is sticky on the skin and does not dry completely. But it helped a lot in the spots. ” – Mixed skin
2. Photoderm Cover Touch FPS50 +, by Bioderma – $$
A sunscreen with high coverage, perfect to cover and protect melasma against external aggressions. Although it looks like a foundation, it has a technology that lets the skin breathe, minimizing the appearance of blackheads and pimples.
“I already went to the pool with him, but I don’t rub my face, I remember not rubbing my face, and he lasted and protected me a lot. (…) So that’s it, here’s my tip for those who have melasma of a sunscreen with a higher coverage. ” – Andreza Goulart
Continued after the announcement
3. Profuse Clair – $$$ whitening cream gel
A cream gel with antioxidant action, which is a multifunctional whitener. Contains UV protection, evens out skin tone and helps treat dark spots, such as melasma.
“It really has the function of lightening our skin, but it also reduces imperfections and helps in the uniformity of the tone of our skin. So, really, it’s a little product that came into my life and will never come out again! ” – Of Good Enta
4. Creamy tranexamic acid – $$$
This product contains tranexamic acid, glycolic, niacinamide and alpha-arbutin. It helps in the treatment of hyperpigmentation, promoting whitening and making the skin tone more uniform.
“What I liked very, very, very much about this product is that it is very liquid. So it does not form a film, it does not interfere with the use of another product, it is absolved very quickly by the skin, which I loved! And so, I can’t put into words the result that this product brought to my skin. ” – Rita
5. The Ordinary Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2% – $$$
A serum indicated to lighten and minimize irregular skin tones. Because of vitamin C, it has antioxidant action and becomes a good option against melasma spots and signs of skin aging.
“Good formula for skin lightening! If you have oily skin, know that at the beginning of the application you will have an unpleasant sensation, but that it will probably balance with a few minutes. ” – DrasDupin
6. Eucerin Anti-Pigment Day SPF 30 Cream – $$$
This daily facial cream, which is part of the Anti-Pigment line, was developed to act against stains. It has Thiamidol, a patented Eucerin ingredient, capable of reducing existing hyperpigmentation and preventing the appearance and reappearance of new spots.
“That melasma that I have been controlling since the first semester, I felt a lot of difference using this Anti-Pigment line.” – Luciana Vilela
7. Dermage whitening cream gel Clarité Cysteamin – $$$$
The product contains Cysteamine 5%, a component that acts directly on the stain. It is a great cream for melasma and can also be used on the armpits and groins. Its formula is free of parabens, alcohol, dyes and oils.
“My dear, only the smell that, although stabilized, is still unpleasant for me as well as for the husband, lol. For this reason, I use the night for 15 minutes, before going to bed. I have never had an allergic reaction and the gel texture that dries fast on the skin. ”- Lucy Campos
Continued after the announcement
The dermatologist tells us that certain actives act in the lightening, as is the case of hydroquinone, Thiamidol and Belides. However, as they are very specific, these assets must be prescribed by a dermatologist who will list the best option for your skin, in addition to other care that includes the UVA and UVB protection factors.
Other options that complement melasma treatments
Depending on the evaluation of your dermatologist, some treatments may be indicated, bringing good results in the clearing and attenuation of melasma. Check out the options separated by Joana!
- Cysteamine peeling: “Currently, one of the most modern and promising procedures to treat the blemishes caused by melasma has been the cysteamine peel, which is formulated using an antioxidant (L-cysteine) that the body produces naturally. Cysteamine acts significantly in the control and reduction of melanin production in the treated region, providing effective results ”, points out Joana. According to the dermatologist, recent research indicates that this asset can reduce pigmentation by approximately 75%, especially in cases of persistent melasma. The treatment can be complemented with cysteamine-based nighttime melasma cream, as this component does not cause allergic reactions or irritation, making it a good alternative for sensitive skin.
- Microneedling: microneedling helps to stimulate the elimination of melanin granules, the set of pigments that form the stain, and has the advantage of not destroying melanin – not causing hypochromia. “This technique is performed with a device that uses numerous microneedles with rotational movement, which promotes small lesions that subsequently promote regeneration of the epidermis and cell renewal. It is indicated for several aesthetic problems, including melasma. It is also applied simultaneously to it drug delivery, which includes whitening actives that are introduced into the skin. Because, due to the microneedling process and the small perforations that promote the assets, they can be much more absorbed and penetrated deeply into the dermis and, therefore, accelerate and work better in its renewal ”, stressed the specialist.
- Chemical peel with acid combinations: “Chemical peeling is a great resource for treating certain superficial or deep cases. They are generally carried out with the association of various types of acids, which help to promote lightening, have an exfoliating effect, renew the epidermis of the affected area and reduce the production of melanin in the skin tissue ”, explained Joana. Some acids used are: glycolic, salicylic, retinoic, trichloroacetic, kojic, lactic or tranexamic. Even so, chemical peeling is more recommended for superficial cases of melasma, so that there is no rebound effect with hyperpigmentation.
- Laser or intense pulsed light: “The results of both are generally faster, however they also involve more risks. This is because its action may cause stains in the post-procedure. The so-called rebound effect ”, pointed out the dermatologist.
- Oral treatment: a possibility that acts as an adjunct to treatment. According to the dermatologist, there are nutricosmetics with formulations that contain assets capable of combating blemishes, photo-oxidation and skin darkening. However, the dermatologist stresses the importance of consulting a specialist doctor and not self-medicating.
The dermatologist concludes that, provenly, what is effective for the stains is the combination of treatments, which cause less aggression to the skin. Treating melasma requires patience and care, in addition to a skincare routine to maintain a hydrated skin, with shine and elasticity!